We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Alouette


The Alouette, created by Jan Turner,
consists of two or more stanzas of 6 lines each,
with the following set rules:
Meter: 5, 5, 7, 5, 5, 7
Rhyme Scheme: a, a, b, c, c, b

The form name is a French word meaning 'skylark' or larks that fly high,
the association to the lark's song being appropriate for the musical quality
of this form. The word 'alouette' can also mean a children's song
(usually sung in a group), and although this poetry form is not necessarily
for children's poetry (but can be applied that way), it is reminiscent of
that style of short lines.  Preference for the meter accent is on the
third syllable of each line.

Example Poem


Visual Template

Regrets

I'm not satisfied
and my dreams have died.
I wanted to do much more.
I lived for the day,
then you went away,
Now I long for distant shore.

My clock's running out,
I've cancer and gout,
but I'm prosperous and free.
My wealth they could keep
if I could but sleep
close to you, across the sea.

© Lawrencealot - April 18,2012


Visual Template

No comments:

Post a Comment